Thursday, November 15, 2007

I'm Gonna Like Me: Letting Off a Little Self-Esteem

Author: Jamie Lee Curtis & Laura Cornell

First line: I'm gonna like me when I jump out of bed, from my giant big toe to the braids on my head.

Why you should read this book: One of the few celebrity-authors who actually writes book that would be published were she not a movie star, Curtis has penned another fabulous picture book that speaks to kids in a respectful and intelligent way, but remains playful and silly as it instructs. The book advocates maintaining positive feelings whether or not a kid has succeeded, and paints pictures of experiences that kids can understand and relate to. The message is strong and accessible, the pictures cute and whimsical.

Why you shouldn't read this book: Your precious little snowflakes already have so much self-esteem that they dictate the dinner menu, dominate the television remote, choose your family vacation destinations, and throw public temper tantrums when they are denied anything.

No comments: