Saturday, December 21, 2013

Dancing in the Wings

Written by: Kadir Nelson

First line: My mom calls me Sassy, 'cause I like to put my hands on my hips and 'cause I always have something to say.

Why you should read this book: Taller than the other kids, with long legs and big feet, Sassy has always lived for ballet. Teased by smaller dancers, she worries that she'll always be too big for the boys to pick up and too tall to dance in a line with other girls, condemned to dance only in the wings. When given the opportunity to audition for a prestigious summer dance festival in the nation's capital, Sassy does everything in her power to stand out from the other dancers, but learns that it's unnecessary to do anything more than be herself and try her best.

Why you shouldn't read this book: You always work to fit in.

No comments: